|Born:||Died: 5 Mar 1895||Married: Eliza Prebble||Mother: Mary||Father: James Butcher||Descendant: William Butcher|
James Butcher was the father of William Butcher.
James was baptised on the 2nd January 1820 at Bonnington Kent. His father was James Butcher and his mother was Mary.
In 1841 he was living with his parents at a farm called Bilham in Kingsnorth, Kent (near Mersham).
James Butcher married Eliza Prebble and was registered in Q4, 1844 at Kensington, London (Vol 3, pp. 276) (certificate on order)
|1844. Marriage solemnized at St John's Church in the Parish of Paddington in the County of Middlesex|
|When Married.||Name and Surname.||Age||Condition.||Rank or Profession||Residence at the Time of Marriage||Father's Name and Surname||Rank or Profession of Father|
1844 November the Second
|James Butcher||Of full age||Bachelor||Carpenter||21 Titchborn Street||James Butcher||Carpenterr|
|Eliza Prebble||Of full age||Spinster||21 Titchborn Street||William Prebble||Brewer|
|Married in the Saint John's Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after banns by me, P.J.Overy, Curate|
|This marriage was solemnized between us||James Butcher||In the Presence of us||Charles Prebble|
|Eliza Prebble||Emily Thatcher|
On the night of 30 March 1851 James was living with his family at Hay Cross, Woodchurch, Canterbury, Kent. He was 31, a farm bailiff, and was listed as being born in Bonnington in Kent.
With him was his wife Eliza, and children William (5, Kingsnorth), James W. (4, Kingsnorth), Ellen (2, Mersham) and Eliza (1, Warehorn).
On the the night of 7 April 1861 he was living with his family at Prinkham House, Lingfield. His sons William and James are not at home, and he is now listed as an agricultural labourer, rather than a farm bailiff. Next door lives an older James Butcher, who is possibly his father.
James had the following children with Eliza:
- William (b. ~1845, c. 2nd Nov 1845, Kingsnorth, Kent)
- James Prebble (c. 4 Oct 1846, Kingsnorth, Kent)
- Ellen (c. 12 July 1848, Mersham, Kent)
- Eliza ( b. ~1850 Warehorn, Kent, c. 10 March 1850, Mersham, Kent)
- Emily Mary (c. 18 Dec 1853, Woodchurch, Kent)
James Butcher died on the 5th March 1895, and was buried on the 11th March at Ashford, Kent (Registered: Q1 1895 at West Ashford, Vol. 2a, Page 633).
BUTCHER James of 36 Somerset-road Ashford Kent gentleman died 5 March 1895 Probate London 8 May to James Prebble Butcher collector and Henry Vincent Parker draper's assistant Effects £23 11s. 9d.
- William Butcher, living in Mersham, was buried in Mersham on the 27th June 1821 at 3 years old.
- Charles Butcher, from Lingfield, Surrey, was buried in Mersham, Kent on the 31st July 1862, at the age of 37 years old.
- John James Butcher, living in Stowting, was buried in Mersham on the 14th March 1868, at the age of 17 years old.
- Hannah Butcher, living in Wye, was buried in Mersham on the 17th September 1874, she was 18 years old.