|Born: 9 May 1798||Died: 19 May 1884||Married: John Harley||Mother: Mary Moffatt||Father: John Ward||Descendant: Elizabeth Harley|
Dorothy Ward was born on the 9th May 1798, and was baptised in Lamesley on the 26th August 1798. Her parents were John Ward and his wife Mary Ward (née Moffatt) who were both natives of Kibblesworth. The register says that she was their fifth child.
John Harley (Bachelor) married Dorothy Ward (Spinster) in the Parish of Lamesley, Durham on the 18th March 1821.
The witnesses were George Ward, Elizabeth Foreman, and R.Dixon.
They had at least 9 children:
Baptisms in Lamesley:
- John Harley, son of John & Dorothy Harley (of Lamesley, School Master), baptised 31 March 1822
- Thomas Harley, son of John & Dorothy Harley, baptised 7 September 1823
- William Harley, son of John & Dorothy Harley, baptised 8th May 1825
- George Harley, son of John & Dorothy Harley (of Lamesley, School Master), baptised 4th November 1827
- Robert Harley, son of John & Dorothy Harley (of Lamesley, School Master), baptised 12 December 1829
- Mary Ann Harley, daughter of John & Dorothy Harley (School Master, of Lamesley) baptised 25th December 1831
- Matthew Ward Harley, son of John & Dorothy Harley (School Master, of Street Gate) baptised 1st June 1834
- Dorothy Anne Jane Harley, of John and Dorothy Harley (Agent, of Willington Quay) baptised 30 May 1841
- Elizabeth Harley, of John and Dorothy Harley (Agent, of Willington Quay) baptised 30 May 1841
On the night of 6 June 1841 Dorothy and her family was living at Willington Quay, Northumberland. For some reason Elizabeth (who would be three yeas old at the time) wasn't listed, but her younger sister Dorothy (1) was. Interestingly there is a child called Mary Ward (9) living with them, this is possibly a niece of Dorothy.
On the night of 30 March 1851, Dorothy and her family were living at Hardings bank no.2, in Westoe. Dorothy is from Kibblesworth, Durham (which today is in Tyne and Wear). Elizabeth is now back with them, and her age is given as 13. However, their other daughters Mary Ann (19) and Dorothy (10) are now absent. Dorothy is staying with her brother John Harley at 107 Wapping Street, South Shields.
On the night of 7 April 1861 Dorothy and her family are living at 8 Salem Street, Westoe, his daughter Elizabeth is no longer with them, it is unclear where she is on that night.
In 1871 she is widowed and living at 107 Palmerston Street ,South Shields, with her daughter Mary Ann and her husband Thomas Stewart (who Mary married in 1862).
In 1881 Dorothy (83) is still boarding at 107 Palmerston Street with her daughter Mary Ann Stuart (49)(with a misspelt surname). In the second household in that house is her daughter, now remarried, Elizabeth Buck and her family, including Dorothy's grand-daughter Mary Ann Stewart Dunn.
Dorothy died on the 19th May 1884.
From the Shields Daily News, 20th May 1884:
Deaths: HARLEY.- At the residence of her son-in-law, 8 Hudson's Buildings, on the 19th inst., Dorothy Harley, wife of the late John Harley, school-master, aged 86 years.
The death of Dorothy Harley (80) was registered in Apr-Jun 1884 in South Shields Vol. 10a p365, This is an age discrepancy of 6 years from her known date of birth. It seems a 6 was misread as a 0.
- Thomasin, illegitimate daughter of Frances Ward, born Sept 9th 1808, Christened October 9 1808 in Long Newton.