|Born:||Died: 26 Dec 1860||Married: Mary Engleheart||Mother: Mary Barker||Father: James Richardson||Descendant: Ernest Richardson|
Pelham Richardson was born on the 24th March 1804 at St Michael Cornhill in London (or the parish of St Mary Abchurch), his father was James Mallcott Richardson, and his mother was Mary Barker. He was Christened on the 17 Apr 1805.
On the 6th December 1831, Pelham was given the Freedom to the City of London, due to his father James Mallcott Richardson having previously been given this honour in 1797 (having a parent with this appears to confer it to a son).
Similarly on the 10h January 1843 his brother Guileford Barker Richardson (born 1817) was also inducted.
He was a bookseller and publisher. The Open Library has a list of the books that he published.
On the 2nd of June 1832 he married Mary Jane Engleheart at Saint Luke in Old Charlton, Kent. Both were of that parish, and as Mary was a minor, they had the consent of her father, J.B. Engleheart, Esq. The witnesses were Henry Engleheart and J.W.Richardson.
They had at least three children,
- Mary J. Richardson, born in Kennington in Surrey in around 1837
- Pelham Engleheart Richardson, born in Lewisham, Kent in around 1844 [Registered: 1844 Oct-Nov-Dec, Lewisham, vol.5 page 290]
- Ernest Murray Richardson, born in Blackheath in around 1848
Electoral Registers & Directories
In 1832, 1835 and 1837 a Pelham Richardson was listed as a stationer at 23 Cornhill, also at the same address was a James Mallcott Richardson. A John Richardson (also a stationer) lived at 91 Cornhill.
In the 1839 Robson's London and Birmingham directory:
- Richardson, Pelham, Bookseller & Stockbroker, 23 Cornhill
- Richardson, Jno. Sec. of Sun Insurance Company, 101 Cornhill
- Richardson, Jas. M. Bookseller & publisher, 23 Cornhill
- Richardson J.M. Stockbroker, 23 Cornhill
- Richardson & Pike, Solicitors, 28 Golden Sq.
- Richardson Chas. Coal Merchant, 145 Leadenhall st.
- Richardson Chas. Coal Merchant, 9 Bankside
- Richardson Wm. Coal Dealer, 39 Little Pulteney st.
- Richardson This. Merchant, 72 Cornhill
In the 1839 Pigot's directory:
- Richardson, James Mallcott, 23 Cornhill
- Richardson, John, 25 South Audley st
- Richardson Pelham, 23 Cornhill
- Richardson Richd. 21 St. John st, Clrkwll
In the 1840 Pigot's directory:
- Richardson Jas. M. esq. Blackheath pk
- Richardson Mrs. Lawford, St. German's place, Blackheath.
- Richardson Pelham, esq. Dartmouth grove, Blackheath.
In the 1851 Post Office Directory:
- Richarson James, esq. Blackheath pk.
- Richardson Lawford, esq. 14 Stainton pl
- Richardson Miss, Upper Park place, Blackheath park
- Richardson Murray, esq. Park lodge, Blackheath park
- Richardson Pelham, esq. Dartmouth grove.
In the 1858 Melville's Directory:
- Richardson, Guildford Barker, esq., 10, Stanton place
- Richardson, Miss, 5, Upper park place, Blackheath park.
- Richardson, Mrs. Blackheath park
- Richardson, Murray, esq., New road, Blackheath park
- Richardson, Pelham, esq., New Road, Blackheath park
In the 1878 Post Office Directory:
- Richardson, William Pelham, Gothic Villa, Felpham, Sussex
In 1855 Pelham Richardson (stationer) was listed at Dartmouth grove, Blackheath, City of London, house, 23 Cornhill. It is not clear if the description house is for Dartmouth Grove (which I believe to be his residence) or for 23 Cornhill (which I believe his ownership entitled him to vote - only men over 21 who owned property could vote).
Pelham Richardson died on the 26th December 1860 at Morden Road, Blackheath park, Blackheath, Kent.
The probate on 25th May 1861 of Pelham Richardson
The will of Pelham Richardson late of Cornhill in the City of London and of Morden-road Blackheath Park Blackheath in the County of Kent. Bookseller and East India Agent deceased who died 26th December 1860 at Morden-road aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Mary Jane Richardson of Morden-road aforesaid Widow the Relict and the sole Executrix.
Not necessarily for this Pelham Richardson.
Name: Pelham John Richardson Birth Date: 6 May 1908 Date of Registration: Jan 1998 Age at Death: 89 Registration district: Hove Inferred County: Sussex Register Number: 84C District and Subdistrict: 4571 Entry Number: 276
Marriage licenses: 9th November 1700: Pelham Richardson & Eliza James
- Theodora Pelham Richardson, Jan 1889 Brighton
- Pelham Engleheart Richardson, Oct 1844 Lewisham
- Lawford Pelham H Richardson, Oct 1873 Hackney
- Pelham Harold Richardson, Oct 1902 East Preston
- Pelham John Richardson, Apr 1908 Brighton
He published Emigration and Superabundant Population Considered, in a Letter to Lord Ashley by Amicus Populi, London, Pelham Richardson, 1848. 6d.