Mary Jane Curteis
|Born: 24th October 1793||Died: 9th March 1859||Married: Nathaniel Engleheart||Mother: Eleanor Croft||Father: Samuel Curteis||Descendant: Mary Engleheart|
Her father was the curate of Sandon, Hertford and wrote in the start of the parish registers for there
Mary Jane, daughter of Samuel and Eleanor Curteis was born at Hitchin on the 24th of October 1793.
She married Nathaniel Brown Engleheart on the 2nd June 1812 at St. Mary's church, Sunbury on Thames.
Nathaniel Brown Engleheart of the parish of St. George, Hanover Square in the county of Middlesex, Esq. Batchelor, and Mary Jane Curteis of this parish, spinster, a minor were Married in this church by licence, with consent of parents this second day of June in the year one thousand eight hundred and twelve by me James Lowe, Vicar.
This marriage was solemnized between us: P.B.Engleheart & Mary Jane Curteis
In the presence of George Engleheart, S. Curteis, Emma Engleheart, Mary Ann Thicking?
Mary Jane and Nathaniel had the following children:
- Eliza Ann Engleheart
- Mary Jane Engleheart c.25 Dec 1813, East Bedfont, Middlesex
- Nathaniel Brown Engleheart c.15 Sep 1815, Tooting Graveney, Surrey, England., m. Caroline Marsh 13 July 1848, d. 1853
- William Hayley Engleheart, c 13 Apr 1817, East Bedfont. Aboding in Lower Tooting.
- Ursula Sarah Engleheart, c. 11 Jan 1819
- George Edward Engleheart, c.4 Aug 1818, and c.25 Apr 1821
- Eleanor Serena Engleheart, c. 31 July 1823
- Samuel Henry Engleheart, c. 31 July 1823
- Benjamin Octavius Engleheart, h.c. 2 Apr 1825, c. 20 June 1825, Tooting Greveney
- Emma Frances Engleheart, b. 12 Mar 1827, c.12 May 1827, Saint Luke, Old Charlton
- Georgiana Caroline Engleheart, b.27 Oct 1828, c.22 Sep 1831, Saint Luke,Old Charlton,London,England
- Stephen Paul Engleheart, b.20 Aug 1830, c.22 Sep 1831, Saint Luke, Old Charlton
- Francis James Engleheart, b.9 Feb 1834, c.8 Aug 1834, Saint Luke, Old Charlton, d. 14 Jan 1900
- Martha Sophia Engleheart b.6 Jan 1836, c.17 Jun 1836, Saint Luke, Old Charlton
- Edward Curteis Engleheart, c.10 Aug 1838
On the night of 6 June 1841 she was living at Cresswell Park in the parish of Charlton, Kent. In the house are her husband Nathaniel Engleheart and seven of her children. Also there were six servants.
On the night of 30th March 1851 she was living with her family at Cresswell Park House, in Charlton, Kent (nearer to Blackheath than Charlton). The family was obviously well off as they had six servants.
In the morning post, 14th March 1859:
- ENGLEHEART.- On the 9th inst., in her sixty-fifth year, Mary Jane, wife of Nathaniel Brown Engleheart, Of Doctors'-commons, and Park House, Blackheath, Kent, Esq.
The Gentleman's Magazine, January 1859:
- Aged 65, Mary Jane, wife of Nathaniel Brown Engleheart, esq., of Doctors'-commons, and Park-house, Blackheath, Kent, and eldest daughter of the late Rev. Samuel Curteis, LL.D., Queens' Coll., Cambridge.