|Born:||Died:||Married:||Mother: Annie Stoppard||Father: William Churm||Descendant:|
Ethel Handforth Churm was born on the 19th September 1892 in Manchester. Her parents were William Churm and Annie Stoppard, a shop keeping family (with four shops in Manchester). She was probably born at 24 Alexandra Grove, Chorlton-on-Medlock, as this was where her parents were living in the 1891 census (and she was registered in the Chorlton district).
By 1901 her family had moved to 65 Palatine Road, Northenden, Manchester, Cheshire.
Ethel Handforth Churm, December Quarter, 1892, Chorlton, Lancashire (Volume 8c, Page 847)
The Chorlton registration district consisted of many villages including Chorlton on Medlock,.
Interestingly "Handforth" is also a place just south of Manchester...
She worked as a temporary nurse during the war years.
In the 1939 register she is living at 305 Chorley New Road, Horwich, Lancashire. The residents were:
- Iqbal H. Syed, born 8th March 1890, Medical Practitioner (Deputy Medical Practitioner, First Aid, A.R.P.)
- Ethel H. Syed, born 19th September 1892, Unpaid Domestic Duties (Ambulance Driver, A.R.P.)
- Winifred A. Donald, born 24th August 1903, Unpaid Domestic Duties (married)
- Lilian Hatton (Hart), born 23rd February 1916, Domestic Servant (single)
- two closed entries (persons born after 1914).
They had two children.
She died, aged 75, of heart trouble on the 26th of June 1968.