Alfred Walter Wells
|Born: 1850||Died: 28 Sep 1921||Married: Sarah Box||Mother: Ann Coleman||Father: John Wells||Descendant: Mary Wells|
Alfred Walter Wells was the father of Mary Ann Minnie Wells.
He was born around the middle of 1850.
On the night of 30 March 1851, Alfred is 7 months old and living with his parents John and Ann Wells at 4 Tidy Street, Brighton. This would put his date of birth between the 30th July to the 30th August 1850 approximately.
In 1871 he is now 20 and still living with his parents John and Ann Wells, but they've moved three places up the road to 83 Trafalgar Street, Brighton. His occupation was as a Grainer, which I believe was someone who painted simulation wood grain effects (one step up from a decorator, and two steps up from a painter).
In directories for Brighton, Sussex he is listed as:
- 1874 - Wells, Alfred Walter, grainer &c. 36 Kensington Place - Post Office Directory.
- 1899 - Wells, Alfred Walter, grainer & decorator, 84 Trafalgar st. - Kelly's Directory
- 1909 - Wells, Alfred Walter, grainer & decorator, 84 Trafalgar street & decorator 193 Ditchling rise. - Kelly's Directory
- 1911 - Wells, Alfred Walter, decorator, 84 Trafalgar street & 193 Ditchling rise. T N 251Y1 - Kelly's Directory
- 1913 - Wells, Alfred Walter, decorator, 84 Trafalgar street & 193 Ditchling rise. T N 251Y1 - Kelly's Directory
- 1918 - Wells, Alfred Walter, decorator, 84 Trafalgar street & 103 Ditchling rise. - Kelly's Directory
In 1881 he is living with his family at 36 Kensington Place, Brighton. He was 30 and still a grainer (which is a good confirmation that this is the same Alfred Walter Wells!).
In 1891 he is living with his family (including Minnie) at 84 Trafalgar Street in Brighton, his wife was a dealer in paper hangings and possibly a milliner. He was 40 and a grainer, decorator and painter.
On September the 21st in 1872 Sarah Jane gave birth to Mary Ann Minnie Wells while they was living at 17 White Cross Street, Brighton.
- Mary Ann Minnie Wells (1872)
- Alfred John Wells (c.30 Jan 1876, St. Peters, Brighton, mother's name was Jane)
- Annie Daisy Wells (c.19 Nov 1877, St. Peters Brighton)
- Maud Wells (~1878, Brighton)
- Ada Winifred Wells (~1880, Chapel Royal, Brighton)
- Frederick C. Wells (~1882)
- Mabel H. Wells (~1884)
- Florence F. Wells (~1886)
- Sydney Walter Wells (~1889)
In 1901 he is 50 and is living with his wife Sarah Jane, and his 7 children, at 193 Ditchling Rise, Brighton. He is still a grainer, but now employers people too.
On the 18th August 1906 he attended the marriage of his son Alfred John Wells at Witney in Oxford. He was listed as the father, and as a decorator. His daughter Ada was one of the witnesses.
In 1911 he is 60 and still living with his wife Sarah Jane at 193 Ditchling Rise, but only his son Sydney, and grand-daughter Gwenyth are with them. He now calls himself a decorator rather than a grainer (perhaps fashions have changed).
Alfred died on the 28th September 1921 at the age of 71.
His probate entry was as follows:
WELLS Alfred Walter of 193 Ditchling Rise Brighton died 28 September 1921 Administration London 26 October to Alfred John Wells decorator. Effects £750 18s. 10d.
The death of Alfred W. Wells at the age of 71 was registered in Q3, 1921, Steyning, vol 2b, page 287.
BMD:B: Alfred Walter Wells, Q4, 1850, Brighton, VII, 327
BMD:M: Alfred Walter Wells, Sarah Jane Box, Q1, 1872, Brighton, Vol:2b, Page:277